Fathers change the world one child at a time. Today, more and more fathers like you are experiencing the satisfaction and reward of taking a more active role in the lives of their children. Here are 5 simple things you can begin to do immediately to be a better dad!
1. Respect your children’s mother. Married or not, it is important to respect and support the mother of your children. When children see their parents respecting each other, they are more likely to feel that they are also accepted and respected.
2. Spend time with your children. How a father spends his time tells his children what’s important to him. If you always seem too busy for your children, they will feel neglected no matter what you say. Kids grown up so quickly. Missed opportunities are lost forever.
3. Earn the right to be heard. All too often the only time a father speaks to his children is when they have done something wrong. Begin talking with your children when they are young so that difficult subjects will be easier to handle as they get older.
4. Discipline with love. All children need guidance and discipline, not as punishment, but to set reasonable limits. Fathers who discipline in a calm and fair manner show love for their children.
5. Be a role model. Fathers are role models for their kids, whether they realize it or not. A girl who spends time with a loving father grows up knowing she deserves to be treated with respect by boys, and what to look for in a husband. Fathers can teach sons what is important in life by demonstrating honesty, humility and responsibility.